Are you concerned about the long-term viability of your farm business? Are you thinking about scaling up your operation or adding a new enterprise? Are you simply hoping to improve your bottom line?
Open Books working groups are forming now
Open Books is a 3-year technical assistance project that supports farmers in mastering farm financial record keeping and analysis.
The goals of the program are threefold:
- To assist farmers in achieving greater financial viability and a higher quality of life
- To enable experienced farmers to become financial mentors to others in the farming community
- To deepen our collective knowledge of non-commodity farm financial trends in our region
Farmers who meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Currently operate a farm business in northern Illinois or Wisconsin
- Have been producing and selling farm products for at least three years
- Had gross farm revenue of at least $15,000 in 2016
Open Books Benefits
- Improve your financial recordkeeping skills
- Learn how to use financial analysis tools to boost your bottom line
- Share financial challenges with other farmers in a confidential setting
- Receive referrals to business and financial professionals
Open Books participants agree to:
- Share farm financial information with Open Books group members
- Be open to advice from group members
- Respect privacy of group members and agree not to disclose any financial information
- Actively participate in the program for 3 years
- After 1 (or 2) year of participation in this program, consider mentoring one or more beginning farmers during the second year
- Willingness to use our financial recordkeeping tool
Send our Farmer Training Department an email or call us at 815-389-8455.